While I am sure everyone has their own recipe for oatmeal, this morning I am feeling inspired to share my recipe for the breakfast that I eat nearly everyday.
I have been eating oatmeal regularly for about four years and since then I have gotten several people hooked on it. Since so many people enjoy my oatmeal, I thought I’d share the love.
Julia’s Famous(?) Oatmeal
1 cup water
1 cup milk (I like 1%)
1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup oat bran
1 ripe banana, sliced
Cinnamon, to taste
Pure vanilla extract, to taste (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon)
1. Heat water and milk in a medium-sized sauce pan, until just boiling
2. Place all ingredients in the saucepan
3. Lower heat to medium
4. Stir with a rubber spatula/wooden spoon depending on the amount of attention you have to devote to the oatmeal (the more your stir, the creamier it will become)
5. Turn off heat when all liquid has been absorbed and oats seem to stick to the spoon (about 7-10 minutes)
6. Pour into bowl and eat up!
When it’s done, I usually stir in a tablespoon of chia seeds to thicken it up (I like my oats THICK) and place a large plop of peanut butter in the center the bowl.
Warms your soul on a cold morning and fills your tummy for hours.